Sep 1, 2011

The Power of Prayer.

During this past week I have had a lot of new changes happen. I have a new companion. I am in a new area. My companion and I are both new to the area, which means we don't exactly know our way around or what's going on for that matter. We are serving in a new branch and working with new leadership. We are driving around trying to meet all our investigators, potentials, formers, and referrals without getting lost. All we have is our trusty map. This is a very new and exciting experience for me, but along with all of this excitement there has been an added amount of stress on my shoulders. This is a big responsibility! Last night, I was discussing all of my excitement, fears, and concerns with my Heavenly Father about this new assignment, and I was hit with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and love for the power of prayer. It amazed me that even though  I am in a new area and among new people, I didn't feel alone, even though it would be so easy to feel that way. It gives me great comfort and peace to know that I always have a great friend, my Heavenly Father, to talk to- anytime, anywhere, any hour. He is always available.

Prayer is one of the greatest blessings and most powerful tools we have while we are here on earth. Prayer is literally a direct line of communication between our Heavenly Father and us, His children. There is never a busy signal with Him. We can seek His counsel, guidance, and direction daily, and He will listen. That is His promise to us.

In the April 2011 General Conference, Elder Russell M. Nelson, of the quorum of the 12 apostles, said this regarding prayer:

"Your heartfelt pleadings are important to Him.... If we pray with an eternal perspective, we need not wonder if our most tearful and heartfelt pleadings are heard. This promise from the Lord is recorded in section 98 of the Doctrine and Covenants:

2-"Your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord...and are recorded with this seal and testament-the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.

3-"Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord."

Elder Nelson continues by saying, "The Lord chose His strongest words to reassure us! Seal! Testament! Sworn! Decreed! Immutable covenant! Brothers and sisters, believe Him! God will heed your sincere and heartfelt prayers, and your faith will be strengthened (Face the Future with Faith, April 2011)."

We must remember that "prayer is a form of work, and is an appointed means for obtaining the highest of all blessings (Bible Dictionary pg. 753)." Our loving Heavenly Father is always anxious and willing to bless us with the things we ask, but we must do our part. "Blessings require some work or effort on our part before we can obtain them (Bible Dictionary pg. 753)."

This reminds me of a scripture in Doctrine and Covenants 58:26-28:

26-"For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward."

27-"Verily I say, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will, and bring to pass must righteousness;"

28-"For the power is in them, wherein they are agents unto themselves."

We shouldn't be "commanded in all things." God expects us to do our part. We should get on our knees and pray like everything depends on Him, and then get up and work like everything depends on us. We need to be "anxiously engaged in a good cause." "Often God gives us the power to help answer our own prayers. As we pray for help, we should do all we can to bring about the things we desire (Gospel Principles Manual pg. 38)."

"Our sincere prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer may be no, because what we have asked for would not be best for us. Sometimes the answer is yes, and we have a warm, comfortable feeling about what we should do (see D&C 9:8-9). Sometimes the answer is "wait a while." Our prayers are always answered at a time and in a way that the Lord knows will help us the most."

"Sometimes the Lord answers our prayers through other people. A good friend, a husband or wife, a parent or other family member, a Church leader, a missionary- any of these individuals may be inspired to perform acts that will answer our prayers (Gospel Principles Manual pg. 37)."

I know that prayer is real and very powerful. I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that He wants us to talk to Him often. He wants to hear about every aspect of our lives because He loves us and wants to bless us, but He can't if we don't let Him into our lives. I would like to close with one last quote from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland, of the quorum of the 12 apostles. He said,

"God is anxiously waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He can't if you don't pray, and He can't if you don't dream. In short, He can't if you don't believe (Terror, Triumph, and a Wedding Feast, September 12, 2004)."

Brothers and sisters, pray with faith, believe in His promises, and go to work! He will listen and He will answer you. Prayer works! I love my Heavenly Father and my Savior Jesus Christ. I know They live, and love each one of us perfectly and personally. This church is true.


No comments:

Post a Comment